Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Sunday Lesson- Gospel Principles 8- Prayer



"When I was growing up, my family tried very hard to follow the advice and counsel of the prophets, we struggled through morning scripture study, family home evenings, and father daughter interviews. As parents of five kids my mom and dad would often become so frustrated with our behavior and attitudes that they would temporarily give-up; it seemed that a six month (or so) break would refresh their resolve to help strengthen our family-and so we would start the cycle again. There was one thing, however, that we never took a break from- family prayer. Every morning and evening, my family knelt, held hands and said family prayer. Sometimes we weren’t all there, and I know most mornings my mom had prayer with my older brother and sister, then my little sister and I, and finally my younger brother as we left for school in shifts. In the evenings it was a ‘one shot’ deal! Whoever was there knelt and prayed…it didn’t matter if you were part of our family or not. At times I was embarrassed by this and found myself rolling my eyes at my mom, especially if it was a new friend! Close friends became very accustomed to our family prayers; some of them were even ask to say the prayer.

Clint spent a lot of time at our house and was used to the routine. One evening we were watching a movie, dad got tired and turned the tv off and called for family prayer. We all knelt, held hands, prayed then quickly returned to the couch to finish the movie. Just as the movie started Clint said “When I get married, we’re going to have family prayer”. His comment has stuck with me all these years, and when we were first married, we made it a practice to have family prayer. We don’t kneel down and hold hands, but twice a day, whoever is in our home is ask to join us as we shut out the outside world for a few moments and pray. I am so grateful for the example set by my parents in this one simple act. As a child, I went to school every day knowing that I wasn’t alone; I had an extra blessing of protection, a plea to Heavenly Father to help me concentrate and do well in my studies. It helped me build a relationship with my Heavenly Father that has continued to grow! As a mom now, I can’t think of any better tool to send my children out into the world with. I am touched deeply every time I hear them prayer for each other and the specific activities they have going on. I am astounded when my young children prayer for another family or child without being prompted. And I am grateful for the faith they have that their prayers will be answered.
I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."
-Courtney Jenkins

No comments: